Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I've turned a lively puppy into a champion snoozer!

I received a couple texts today asking why no blogging was going on and concerned it was a bad sign. It definitely was not a negative sign.  I just forgot as I've been trying to get more involved in some work calls, kids homework, and some other house things.  It ends up leaving me an exhausted and useless mess the rest of the day.  Anyway, today is five weeks removed from the last radiation treatment and Denise and I went to Dana Farber to meet with Dr Haddad.  It was funny, I said to him "I wasn't sure if you'd still me my Dr. now that you are a television star " (he was on the Jimmy Fund Telethon tv broadcast for  1/2 hour interview) he says, "that was on TV?".  I looked at him and thought 'what the hell did you think all the tv cameras around you were for, am I sure I want this guy treating me????'.  Turns out he was told it was for the radio telethon and he doesn't get the station that it was broadcast on so he had no idea it was being broadcast. He's been great so we'll give him a buy on that one.

Anyway, I was anxious to get in to see him.  It had been three weeks since my last appointment and the past week had been really rough on me so I needed to see what was going on.  I was back to getting sick a few days in a row and I was exhausted more than the prior week or two leading into the checkup.  He checked me out pretty good and said he feels I am ahead of schedule on the healing and the eating that I have been able to do has helped things move along as well.  The throat area he said is healing really nicely which was great to hear.  As I mentioned I've been getting sick the past week and I was afraid I may be damaging it pretty bad.  He said it looked good and my weight was holding ok (down 40lbs on the nickel so far).  Now I need my taste buds to let me eat more regularly so I can really get moving.  The only surprising thing was the time I still have ahead of me before I feel remotely normal.  He kept talking in terms of 3 weeks to a month for each step of getting better.  I have to start eating and need to go two weeks without using the feeding tube at all without losing a single pound before the tube comes out.  Sounds easy but trust me, eating is so hard right now.  Everything is disgusting the second it goes in.  I can't wait till that is no longer the issue.  Again he mentioned I need to allow time.  It's still 3 or 4 weeks before the taste buds kick in good.  Which means it's 6-8 weeks minimum before the tube comes out and I can really feel like a normal person and not a recovering cancer patient.  And only then does my body really start to recover.  Today I nap like a 90 year old with a sleeping disorder (don't worry Dad, you have a ways to go before 90 so I'm not making fun of you with this crack)  I'm just not ready to be having my nap be the highlight of my day just yet.

Which leads us to today's blog heading.  So we lost our family dog at the beginning of this year which was an awful event.  We picked up a new puppy who we love but is quite energetic.  If you question this comment I challenge you to stop by and come walking right in...and hold on to something that's anchored down.  Or easier yet, ask my mom who ended up in the hospital when Shelby took her down on a recent visit.  Well, since my recovery started a few weeks ago, Shelby has become more astute about what nap time is all about.  She now lays flat on her belly outside my door when I head upstairs.  She lets me go through my routine.  Then, as I spin around to sit on the bid and lay down for the old afternoon duster, she springs up, takes one step leaps onto the bed, and this is no joke, jumps in the air and spins around so her back lands right agains mine just as I lay down.  It's a flawless routine she has perfected over the past few weeks.  Then I have to fight for my share of the sheets and it's lights out for a couple hours.  Shelby snores like Denise so it actually keeps me company and provides me a common background noise for our nap.

A few updates on the non cancer side of things.  I have been able to go to a couple of my girls games and it was great to see everyone.  I still don't go to the away games since I get sick at the drop of a hat and can't risk the drive plus game times.  That's the next step I can't wait to complete.  The girls started school and love it.  Denise is back to work and LOVES it!!  Denise is back to work and I LOVE IT hahha!  My parents are doing great and are at the front of my cheering section to beat this thing.

That's all for now.  It's more than enough I'm sure.  Thank you everyone for the prayers, the texts, the support and the offers.  When I write this ending I always start to tear up a little because I know in my heart nobody realizes just how much what you do each day means to someone going through this.  It's everything, believe me.  Thank You.

Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment